Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chatpata Pav Bhaji




In continuation of my earlier post for homemade pav, I want to share the king of mumbai street food "pav bhaji" which is now popular all over India. This chatpata (spicy n tangy) buttery dish with a rich assortment of vegetables is served with pav and it is an eternal favorite and a complete meal in itself. I don't want to keep you waiting so here is the recipe.

Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups diced vegetables(Potato,cauliflower,beans,carrot,green peas)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped tomatos
  • 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 1 tsp garlic ginger paste
  • 3 tsp pav bhaji masala (available in all indian stores)
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/4 tsp chilli powder
  • a pinch of sugar
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • salt to taste
To serve
1/2 cup chopped onion
lemon cut into wedges

Cooking Procedure:

Pressure cook the diced vegetables for 3 whistles with 2 cups water. Once it cools remove the vegetables mash them coarsely n keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan add onion,ginger garlic paste n fry, then add turmeric powder n stir till onion become translucent. Add bell pepper n let it fry for another 5 min. Then add tomatoes and cook till become soft. Then add coriander powder,salt,sugar,chilli powder,pav bhaji masala,cilantro n fry for another 2 min or till oil begins to saturate.


( Click image for enlarged view )

Add the mashed vegetables to the above mixture , mash them further so that it blend nicely n stir occasionally n let it cook on medium flame for 5 to 10 min.Your bhaji is ready.

Serving Procedure:


( Click image for enlarged view )

Take two pav cut them horizontally apply little butter and toast them

Take a plate put some bhaji n sprinkle with some chopped onions,add a slice of butter and squeeze little lemon n serve with the toasted pav.

I am sending this recipe as a guest post to Lisa's Indian Dinner Party!

and also to

___________________________________________________________________

Tags: Pav Bhaji, Pav, Homemade Pav Bhaji, Mumbai Pav Bhai, King of mumbai street food, Street Food, Chatpata Pav Bhaji

37 comments:

aipi said...

My all time fav..looks super delish Satya!!

Nandinis food said...

Wow! Delicious pav bhaji! Our all time fav and I cook every week!!

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

wow..looks drooling satya..

Prema said...

never prepared pav bhaji at home,simply superb satya,luks delicious...

Sushma Mallya said...

one of my all time fav too, looks so yum with home made pav...

sonu said...

wow ! luv pav bhaji like anything..MMmmmmMmmmm looks super delicious !

Satrupa said...

Gurl you rock !! I had prepared Pav Bhaji for dinner yesterday :) But the pav was store bought ... unlike ur's. Lovely clicks too.

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa
http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Wow..Home made pav with bhaji,it looks delicious.noru ooruthondhi sathya

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

ahhhhhhhhhhh....thts great satya..HM pav n bhaji...bravo girl....looks superyummy n delicious

Unknown said...

Hi Satya,

Lovely recipe...Every time i used to visit my college canteen,i used to have this!!!Home made then wow!!!

Sameena@www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Sadhana Valentina said...

Really really really a yummmmmmmmmmmy one dear!!

Pushpa said...

Chatpatta baaji with Pav looks very delicious.Please do visit my blog www.simplehomefood.com when you get a chance...Thanks

chef and her kitchen said...

Yummy looking Pav bhaji...looks really yumm..ofcourse it is a street food which is favorite for everyone

Anonymous said...

yum yum yum...that looks like one straight from a street in mumbai:)

Urmi said...

I love pav bhaji very much. Looks delicious and tempting. I feel like visiting your home to have pav bhaji.

subhashini said...

I do make pav Bhaji very often but before I could take pic it gets over always.Hope next time I can do it.Yours also look perfect one.

Unknown said...

this is super yum and mouthwatering Satya :) oh wish i was there to enjoy one plate :)

Suneetha's kitchen said...

yummy...

My Kitchen Antics said...

absolute fav of mine

Joanne said...

Street food is always delicious and I love how this is stuffed full of vegetables!

Arti said...

tak..tak... The voice of the ladle on the tava.. I could almost hear that while reading this delicious post!
This looks divine especially with the home made pav, I am sure its a taste to beat!!!

vidhas said...

Thanks for passing by and for the lovley comments.My all tiem favourite and my kids also like this. They will love with bread toast also. My daughter likes with rota too.

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, irresistible bhaji, am inviting myself to ur place Satya..just love it..

chaitrali pathak said...

looks yumm...and this one is my fav dish

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very mouthwatering snack dear. Thanks for sharing.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Niloufer Riyaz said...

My Fav Pav bhaji!! looks perfectr n delicios

Unknown said...

My all time fav..looks tempting satya..love to have some..:)

Suman Singh said...

homemade everything including Pav too..impressive!

Bhaji looks delicious!

Deepa G Joshi said...

one of my favorite dishes..too good and very tempting..great you used home made paav.

Namitha said...

Super yumm...the king of street foods..

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Wow that looks so delicious !!! All time favorite !!

Krishnaveni said...

inviting recipe, looks super yummy sathya

kitchen flavours said...

Looks really good.

Heather S-G said...

So many blogger I've met recently (including you) have me yearning for a visit to India!! This sounds amazing and I'm so glad you are sharing these wonderful dishes w/ t4t =)

PreeOccupied said...

I had pav bhaji for breakfast today! Isnt it the most amazing, healthy treat you can give yourself with a dollop of butter thrown in?

Christy said...

We used to have the loveliest Indian restaurant that served this - sadly it is gone. Thanks for a great memory and recipe! and Thanks for linking to Two for Tues!

Magic of Spice said...

I have never had this dish, but I just love these flavors :) Looks wonderful :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails