Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chickpea Cilantro Patoli


(Click image for enlarged view)

One day my hubby was raving about hummus and I was amused that he is so excited about such a simple arabic dish made with chickpeas...little did he know I would make a indian version too....

Patoli is a pure andhra recipe, there are many variation of patoli,the popular version is a dry version which my mom used to make with chickpea flour and my MIL used to make with channa dal.But I like it soft .

This is my version for this, to make patoli I used chickpeas and cilantro to give it a unique flavor. And in whatever way you plan to use as a curry,spread or dip I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chickpea(after soaking overnight)- also known as garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 2 tbsp chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 green chillies (sliced)
  • 1/2 tsp (mixture of urad dal,cummin seeds,mustard seeds)
  • pinch of hing(asafetida)
  • 1 spring curry leaves
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • salt to taste
Cooking Procedure

Boil the chickpeas in pressure cooker with 1:2 ratio with water with one whistle and 5 min waiting.After it cools grind it into a smooth soft paste with the water.

Heat oil in a pan,add the mixture of urad dal(black gram),mustard seeds,cummin seeds, once mustard seed splutter,add green chillis,chopped onions,curry leaves,turmeric powder,chopped garlic and hing and let it fry for a min then add bell pepper and let it fry till bell pepper becomes soft.

Once bell pepper becomes soft add cilantro and chickpea paste to it and blend nicely and cook for another 5 min.

Serve hot with rice, spread on a bread, use in a wrap or just use as a dip.


Health Benefits of chick peas / garbanzo beans
Prevents Constipation,Lower Cholesterol,Stabilize Blood Sugar,Iron for Energy as growing children and adolescents also have increased needs for iron n excellant source of protein.

Health Tip:
Increase garbanzos' cardio-protective effects by spicing them with garlic, which also lowers cholesterol, and turmeric, which not only lowers LDL "bad" cholesterol, but also increases HDL "good" cholesterol.

I am sending this patoli to 5 wonderful events


CWF: LB - Chickpeas hosted by Nithu and started by Kiran









MLLA # 26 hosted by Briciole and started by Susan.



__________________________________________________________________

Tags: Patoli,Chickpea Patoli, Chickpea Cilantro Patoli, Indian Hummus, Chickpea spread, Chickpea Dip, Chickpea Curry, Healthy Recipe, Tasty Recipe, Quick Recipe, Easy Recipe, Kids Recipe


41 comments:

Sadhana Valentina said...

Sounds new to me dear....looks good and yummy..have to try this soon...

Nandinis food said...

Patoli is superb! It's really a new dish and a must try! I've to buy chickpeas too!

SpicyTasty said...

That sounds new. Nice one.

Kiran said...

Patoli looks very delicious,love th way you made it wih chickpeas and peppers.

Unknown said...

New dish to me......sounds very tasty....

chaitrali pathak said...

looks superb.....and very nicely presented

Akanksha said...

nice one satya, combination of chickpeas,cilantro and bell pepper makes it healthy indeed, thanks for sending ot to my event..awaiting more such yummy entries from you

Arti said...

Never heard of it Satya...But it definitely looks great..The presentation is also amazing!!
Cant wait to taste some:)

Indian food recipes said...

Healthy n delicious combo...new 2 me...tnx 4 shrng Sathya

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

patoli is superb satya

nandini said...

mmm... That is absolutely lovely and totally new to me, intersting way of eat channa.

Urmi said...

Very nice and interesting dish. Patoli looks fabulous.

Swathi said...

Patoli looks delicious, i haven't heard of them. Nice recipe.

Latha said...

New to me...looks great and tasty.

Elaichii said...

Never tasted it before, But looks very tasty indeed!

Anita said...

It's a totally new recipe for me. It sounds very yummy, should try once.

Priya Suresh said...

Yummyilicious patoli, looks super delicious..

Akila said...

that was lovely dear...


CID - 2010 Event Round up

http://akilaskitchen.blogspot.com

Regards,
Akila.

Anonymous said...

OMG....this is something new to me! Looks delish!

Treat and Trick said...

Great combo, looks healthy and delicious, it's new to me though...

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Suneetha's kitchen said...

Lokks Delicious and colourful...thanks satya for visiting my page...u have good collection of recipes..will follow u and will try some of urs...thanks

Unknown said...

This is very new recipe for me to know, thanks for sharing and ur first pic looks inviting! :)

Adelina said...

this is very original indeed!

Unknown said...

Superb idea!! It looks great!! Wish I could taste it..

Sujana said...

Thanks Satya for the lovely comments.
You have got a wonderful collection of recipes and a very beautiful blog :)

Unknown said...

New wonderful recipe for me satya..looks & sounds great.thx for sharing.

Satrupa said...

Thanks for introducing this new recipe to me.

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa
http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Deepti Sidana said...

I had stayed in Hyderabad for a year and half and had tried many traditional andhra dishes,but this is a first for me.Thanks for introducing it.It looks so yummy and healthy.

aipi said...

Never heard of patoli before..looks n sounds awesome!!

Kavita Saharia said...

I have never heard of Patoli before and now i really want to try it.My mouth is watering as i rite this comment.
happy Sunday Satya !

Hamsi said...

New to me. Sounds yummy. Must to try out yaar

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Patoli Looks awesome. Loved the combination with rice.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Sarah Naveen said...

New to me..looks so delicious..

R. Ramesh said...

hey friend nanri ya:)

Red Chillies said...

very different concept !

Sushma Mallya said...

Very interesting!!would love to try this one...

chaitrali pathak said...

nice one satya...looks yummy

Simona Carini said...

Looks very good. I hope the hummus-lover was happy. Thanks for participating.

Vegetarian Zest said...

Lovely… they are worth a grab immediately..
nice click too..

Melodie said...

I've been on holiday all this past week so I am very late in coming by to say thanks for linking at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays! Hope to see you again soon!

Suma Gandlur said...

Lovely presentation. I know about chana / toor / moong dal patolis but never came across chick pea patoli. Will give this a try next time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails