Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Falafel Stuffed Pita Pockets

(Click image for enlarged view)

In continuation of my earlier post , I have prepared some falafel and tahini sauce to have with the pita bread. Falafel is basically a mediterranean dish made with chickpeas n used extensively to stuff pitas. I had bookmarked this recipe of falafel and tahini sauce from manjulas kitchen and at last this weekend I got a chance to prepare it. Tahini sauce is also very healthy as it has sesame and parsley. We enjoyed it a lot, it was new to me which made it more fun.

Preparation Time:20 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Makes: 6-8 stuffed pita pockets

Falafel Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chickpeas (soaked overnight, pressure cooked with 1 whistle and 3 min)
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp cilantro
  • 2 tbsp parsley
  • 1 green chilli
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp chilli flakes
  • 1/2 inch ginger
  • oil for deep fry
  • salt to taste
(Click image for enlarged view)

Falafel Preparation:
Grind all the above ingredients except oil to a coarse paste with very little water, the paste must bind with a simple hand grip. Divide it into 20 balls and deep fry until they turn brown. Keep aside.

Tahini Sauce Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 green chilli sliced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp cilantro
  • 2 tbsp parsley
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • salt to taste
Tahini Preparation:
Grind the above ingredients to a smooth paste and keep aside.


(Click image for enlarged view)

For stuffing the pita we need:
  • 16 falafels
  • 1/2 cup tahini sauce
  • 1 cup chopped lettuce
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup chopped tomatos
  • 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
Procedure:
Heat one pita pocket on a tawa lightly. Fill with lettuce,onion,tomato,cucumber, falafel and then top it with tahini sauce. Serve immediately.

I am posting this recipe to the following events
A.W.E.D.MENU hosted by niloufer started by DK

CWF: LB - Chickpeas hosted by Nithu and started by Kiran
__________________________________________________________
Tags: Pita,Pita Pocket,Pita Bread,Mediterranean Bread,Yeast,Flour,Bake,Baking,Easy Recipe,Baking Recipe,Bread Recipe,Falafel,Falafel and Pita Recipe, Tahini Sauce,Falafel stuffed pitas,Falafel Sandwich,Falafel Wrap, Chickpeas, Sesame Sauce, Garbanzo Beans, Healthy Recipe

59 comments:

Sulagna said...

Awesome dear !! I love mediterranean food..

aipi said...

Can I come to your home for dinner sweetie..that mediterranean spread looks fantastic !:)..beautiful clicks too.

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

Awesome...you do have a variety collection of recipes...

Guna's kitchen said...

chaala kotha dish to me... luks delicious and awesome

Unknown said...

I so want to try out falafel and tahini as I love them both. Such nice tempting pics :)

Sushma Mallya said...

Lovely clicks sathya, very tempting pita pockets..

Urmi said...

Wish you a Happy Rakshabandhan.
Felafel looks yummy and tempting. Wonderful presentation.

Unknown said...

Hey i finally visited!!!joined in your blog as well!!You have created a lovely website!!Join in my blog and support me as well!!!
Sameena@http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Fajeeda said...

the falafel looks nice ya......nice pics too....

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

looks crisp and delicious..

veena said...

looks so tempting satya

chef and her kitchen said...

Lovely falafel's..Nice n yummy sandwich...

sonu said...

looks so inviting perfect and wholesome middle east food !

Shama Nagarajan said...

different yummy recipe dear

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Pitas look so awesome and delicious dear. Very well presented.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Jaisy James said...

hai my favurite. never tried at home. thanks for sharing the recipe

Mina Joshi said...

Wow home made pitas and now fela fals!!They look awesome. My family loves them too. I'll have to try your recipe soon.

Devasena Hariharan said...

Thanx for your encouraging comments in my blog.. my mouth waters for your cookies..

My Kitchen Antics said...

love stuffed pita pockets

Thendral said...

Hi Satya, Thanks for your lovely comments.Your recipes are good. Very lovely pictures. I love your blog template.

Prathima Rao said...

Lovely!Falafel is my fav too..!

Santosh Bangar said...

realy very tempting and pic are so natural.and sauce kya khena.

Heather S-G said...

Now I am totally craving falafel- I love it! This sounds and looks sooo yummy =) Thank you for sharing it w/ Two for Tuesdays this week!

Lav said...

wow thats a wonderful dish...was just thinking of pita and got the recipe from yours...thanku !!! Shal try soon !!

Lavanya

www.lavsblog.com

Akila said...

simply superb dear....

http://akilaskitchen.blogspot.com

Suman Singh said...

getting hungry now by looking at your pics..falafel looks irresistible.

Suji said...

Satya..can i have an order for these delicious pita pockest with falafel.They look stunning ....

Vikis Kitchen said...

Fantastic recipe for stuffed pitas. Like that falafal very much. U rock!

Elaichii said...

I am speechless as they look so good!

Madhu said...

They look so nice. Thanks for stopping at my blog. You have lovely space here.

Suja Manoj said...

Tempting pita pockets..lovely clicks

Swathi said...

Looks delicious. I like the falafel very much. Your recipe sounds easy. I will give a try.

Arti said...

Looks delicious... Very well presented also.. The pics are so tempting indeed:)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Ahhh...I love this...Now you've gotten me craving it too...:)

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Looks delicious. I love falafels and yours looks so perfect and yummy !!

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

woow sathya chala bavunnayi,noru ooruthondhi.

Vasavi Suresh said...

Your pita pockets just look perfect with those falafel.

Unknown said...

that is some irresistible falafels :) love the pic too :)

Unknown said...

Very tempting indeed....too scrummy.....drooling here dear....

Unknown said...

falafel is something am eagerly looking fwd to expt...the whole combo is just wonderful :)

Kiran said...

Very delicious stuffed pita with falafel and tahini.Nice pic.

Sadhana Valentina said...

Looks great and delicious!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely meal

Unknown said...

WOW!! Drooling over your pics..Delicious falafel..Bookmarked to try!!

Krishnaveni said...

looks inviting, yummy

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely satya...I loove the falafels, they look too crispy!A nice & easy recipe!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

lovely pita with falafel..looks tempting n simply superb dear....thanksfor sending this gorgeous entry to my event...lip smacking dish..mm...mmm...mmmmm

Lorraine said...

I love falafel but have never tried to make it at home. Yours looks delicious. I cannot wait to try it with your pita bread too..thanks:)

kitchen flavours said...

Looks good! I have seen many recipes using tahini sauce, but I have never tried it before. I need to go to speciality food shop for ingredients like this. Looks like I have to visit one soon!

Hunger and Thirst said...

I could dig right in, that looks so good. Thanks for including this with your pita recipe for Two for Tuesday.

Christy said...

A great filling for the pitas you showed us how to make before - thanks so much for linking both posts to Two for Tuesdays!

jayasree said...

The spread looks very inviting... Very filling meal.

Simona Carini said...

Homemade pita stuffed with homemade falafel: very nice! Thanks for another nice submission.

a moderate life said...

Satya, this is one of my favorite meals ever since I was a little girl, but I never made it myself! I will try now! Thanks for posting it on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex@amoderatelife

Nandinis food said...

Supero super! It's very lovely and nice! Must be really appetizing!

Joanne said...

Mmm I love falafel so much! What a great and complete meal!

Pravs said...

oh, what a treat... love Mediterranean food.

Sujana said...

Definitely one of my favorites in mediterranean cuisine... must have tasted yummy.... or rather super yummy :)

chaitrali pathak said...

they look superb...awesome dishout dear

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails