Friday, June 11, 2010

Green Gram Lentil ( Hari Moong Ki Dal)


First time i had this dal at my in-laws place after marriage. My mother-in-law taught me this recipe and according to her ,she learned this from her father ,isn't it quite interesting : )

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup green gram
  • 1/3 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomato
  • 1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tbsp chana masala
  • 1 tbsp ghee/oil for vegans
  • a pinch of sugar
  • 1 tsp chopped cilantro for garnish
  • salt to taste
Cooking Procedure:

Heat ghee in a pressure cooker,add cumin seeds and when it starts to splutter

Add onion,ginger garlic paste,green chilli and turmeric powder and stir till onion turns translucent

Add tomato and fry for another minute

Add all powders and mix well

Add green gram along with 3 cups of water ,stir once nicely and close the pressure cooker.

Let it cook for 3 whistles then lower the flame and cook for 5 more minutes.

After opening the cooker let it boil on medium flame for 2 more minutes.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis along with chopped onion.

9 comments:

Uma said...

ur MIL's recipe is interesting!
adding ghee for green gram is new.. would be delicious!

Suganya said...

Lovely looking dal recipe. Looks so good and creamy.... YUM!

Sushma Mallya said...

lovely recipe sathya, delicious dal...

Rach said...

Looks Yumm... I have a green gram dal curry in my blog, which is very traditional one, passed from generations ... seen my grandmom, mom , aunts all preparing it :)

Rach said...

Was caught by the words...Cooking to win a man's heart ... you know why??? My hubby is a guy who told me " You are not my cook! You are the love of my life.... " .... I still rememer how I used to struggle even to cook rice,or prepare coffee or tea. I could only manage to prepare some curd rice initially (just mixing rice with curd, then used to season it) which was not even similar to the fantastic varieties of curd rice that I prepare now. With time and interest all things changed... Except for my hubby... who still says the same :)

divya said...

wow....dal looks amazing!! great pics too...

Satya said...

thank q every one for ur compliments ....

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hy Satya,

Nutritious n yummy recipe.

Satya said...

thank u jay

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails