Saturday, February 5, 2011

Traditional Andhra Style Sweet Bobattu

( Click image for enlarged view )

Bobattu a traditional sweet roti also known as obbattu, puran poli is the perfect traditional dessert served during festival times in andhra with pulihora (tamarind rice) make a best combination of sweet and sour tastes blending with one another.

I never realized this combination until my MIL used to prepare this for my hubby. Bobbatu is served with a little serving of ghee and pulihora in my home and it tastes so divine.

My MIL prepares the best traditional andhra style dishes like bobattu, pulihora, pessarattu ... in my home and I would rate this as one of her best. So here is the recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chana dal
  • 2 cups maida
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cardamom powder
  • 1/2 cup oil
( Click image for enlarged view )

In a bowl mix the maida with water to a smooth dough and the poke some holes in it with your fingers and pour the oil over it ,let maida soak in oil for 3 hrs .

Soak the chana dal for 30 min before cooking .Pressure cook the dal along with 3 cups water for 3 whistles and switch of the flame .After it cools open the pressure cooker and stain the water from dal completely .

( Click image for enlarged view )

In a blender make a smooth paste of sugar and dal.Heat a broad open pan and put this paste and stir continuously till this paste start to caramelize.Transfer the whole mixture to a plate ,keep aside and let it cool.After the dal mixture cools ,divide the total paste to large lemon size balls .

( Click image for enlarged view )

Divide the the dough into small lemon size balls. Spread it flat into a small circle and place the sweet dal mixture in the center and enclose it. Then put on a greased plasic sheet and pat it nicely to form a nice circular shape.

Heat the tawa and place the each piece till golden brown on each side.

Serve hot with ghee and tamarind rice.

39 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks super yumm...luv it

Archana said...

super yummy!

Prema said...

luks delicious,my fav...

Arti said...

First time I have heard about it... But it looks great...
My Yatra Diary...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very tasty looking dish.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Prathima Rao said...

I alwayz get emotional when i see recipes from andhra..I miss my grandma who hailed from andhra & would dish out yumm & authenticy andhra delicacies..Urs looks just perfect...Just like how she would make..I was too young then to note down all recipes but thx to u I can try this one..Thx a ton satya for sharing this..;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

sm said...

tasty dish

Malar Gandhi said...

Yummy. Love it at any time of the day...

Nandita SS said...

The bobattlu looks so yummy satya. They are just perfect :)

MiniBinoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MiniBinoy said...

Sathya,in kerala we call it sweet bolly..it has been my fav ever since i tasted it during childhood!! a very tasty snack..thanx for the recipe and the illustrations.

harini-jaya said...

yummy ..my kids love it and they call it sweet chapati..However, I dont use maida. I use wheat flour or chiroti rava.

Priya Sreeram said...

i love them and the recipe looks perfect ! the puran-polis are swell

Suji said...

wow..looks yummy, Satya, i love these...

Raks said...

Never tried this way,looks super soft and yummy!

Harika baratam said...

My fav dish looks yummy i prepare those with moongdal......

Unknown said...

bookmarking this...has been on my list to do for a long time now!...
looks yum!

Ramya said...

Looks soo sweet n yumm..
My grandma makes a slightly different version of this..we call it bolly:-)

VineelaSiva said...

Wow Satya the bobbatlu looks divine.We too prepare this in same way but we use moong dal.We used to prepare pappu kattu with this.

divya said...

Bobbatlu looks so perfect and delicious. Thanks for illustrating the step by step photographs.

Priya dharshini said...

We call this as poli,luv the way of hand made than using rolling pins..though it is a tough task,worth the taste

Pushpa said...

Poli looks perfect and delicious.

Swathi said...

Poli looks delicious and perfect;

Binys Recipes said...

i love it anytime....

Elaichii said...

Polis look so delicious! In TN we also add a little turmeric powder to the dough.

Smitha said...

Ever green traditional sweet !!! Nicely done !!

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Love the bobbatlu sathya,perfect recipe..

Unknown said...

My perfect andhra sweet. This is one thing that is special requested whenever I am visiting my mom. She HAS to make it.

KrithisKitchen said...

Great recipe.. thanks for sharing..
http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

Hari Chandana said...

Hello Sathya garu, chala bagunnayi mee bobbatlu.. Looks very tempting and perfect.. thanks for the classic recipe :)

Priya Suresh said...

Seriously am drooling here, havent had polis since a long..

Treat and Trick said...

Such a healthy and yummy roti!! Your preparation of the dough is quite new to me...

Angie's Recipes said...

Never had sweet roti...they look so delicious!

Hasna said...

sweet roti?? completely new one for me...

Prathima Rao said...

I have a surprise waiting for u in my blog..Do drop in & check it out..;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Magic of Spice said...

My this looks delicious, I will have to luck up maida as I am not familiar with this. But looks and sounds like a wonderful treat :)

Akila said...

poli looks yummy...

Dish Name Starts with F
Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

Vegetarian Zest said...

A sinful and a super yummy recipe.

vantakam said...

I love Indian sweet recipes. especially bobattu. If you add some Ghee to it really its awesome. Thanks for sharing. Best platform for learners for those who are trying to learn how to cook indian recipes. And you can try carrot Kheer (carrot payasam).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails